Start Here

Enter your zip code

Get your Single Mother Grants Benefit Guide

Stafford Loans for Students

What is Stafford Loans for Students Program?

Direct Stafford Loans, from the William D. Ford Federal Direct Loan (Direct Loan) Program, are low interest loans for qualifying students to help pay the fees of higher education at a four-year college or university, community college, or trade, career, or technical school. Eligible students borrow directly from the U.S. Department of Education (the Department) at participating schools.

Stafford Loans can be availed by undergraduate and graduate students and are made available by Direct Stafford Loans prepared by the U.S. Department of Education. You will pay back a Federal Direct Stafford Loan to the U.S. Department of Education.

There are 2 types of Direct Stafford Loans:

A subsidized loan is granted on the basis of financial requirement, as decided by the information you put forward on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
An unsubsidized loan is not granted on the basis of requirement. But you still must apply using the FAFSA.

Who is eligible for this program?

To become eligible for this program, you must be registered in a post secondary educational program that leads to a post-secondary degree or certificate. There are other criteria. For more details, please check out the following site

How to apply for this program?

To apply for Direct Stafford Loans, complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). You can apply via internet using FAFSA on the Web at (the faster and easier way), or you can obtain a paper FAFSA from your high school, local library, postsecondary school, or by giving a call at the Federal Student Aid Information Center at 1-800-4-FED-AID (1-800-433-3243). TTY users for the hearing impaired can dial 1-847-688-2567.

If you applied for Federal student support for the last school year, you can possibly file a Renewal FAFSA for the following year.
By utilizing a Renewal FAFSA, you will only need to make any information up to date that has changed and complete a few new answers.

What is the Program Contact Information?

To know whether you are qualified to receive aid through this program, you must first fill in a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Schools utilize this information from the FAFSA to decide your eligibility for most Federal student support programs and for many state, institutional and private aid programs.

You can fill in the FAFSA online, via this site: