Start Here

Enter your zip code

Get your Single Mother Grants Benefit Guide


There are many different kinds of aid packages and government grants for single mothers. These grants can help you go back to high school or college. There are government grants that help you with child care, medical treatments, heating in the

winter season and assistance paying your rent or even buying a house. These also fall under the Section 8 benefits.

The U.S. government will help you with expenses such as insurance, utility allowance, normal maintenance costs, repairs and replacements, payments on debt to finance repairs & maintenance.

The requirements to quality for most government grants are:

  1. Be a valid citizen of the United States
  2. Have a valid Social Security Number
  3. Be a current resident in a state or territory or tribe in the US
  4. Have valid proof of parenthood or custody of minor children

The various grants that you can avail of are:

1. Rent Assistance. The Emergency Financial Assistance for Housing Program provides funding for your rent.

2.Educational Grants. Single moms earn a college diploma, too. There are many online courses and night classes being offered by universities.

3. Health Programs. Some of the programs available benefit both mothers and children, or just their children, to help ensure the health and well-being of the family. Single moms can access many of the financial help resources through local Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) offices.

4. Women, Infants and Children (WIC).The WIC program is provided through the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA). This program assists low-income pregnant women, postpartum mothers, and infants and children up to 5 years of age.

5. Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF).This is a short-term program and TANF benefits do not last for more than five years. Single mothers areeligible to receive TANF benefits if they meet the income guidelines.Benefits offered through TANF include assistance with job preparation, finding work, parental responsibility educational opportunities, cash benefits and self-sufficiency.

6. Children's Health Insurance. The Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP) covers health insurance for children under the age of 18 years. The benefits include coverage for prescription medications, doctor visits, immunizations, dental care and hospital visits.

7. Housing. The Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) provides public subsidized housing and Section 8 housing through the Housing Choice Voucher program. The goal of these housing programs is to help provide safe and affordable housing choices. Single mothers can access these programs through their local Housing Authority office.

A single mother can choose to live in public subsidized dwellings or use the Housing Choice Voucher program to live in a privately owned rental property. HUD also offers assistance to single mothers facing an eviction or home foreclosure, or to those who are ready to become first-time homebuyers.

8. Aid for Heating and Cooling Bills. The Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) is designed to help families with elderly residents or small children, and households where income is low but energy costs are high, and health and safety risks arise if bills are not paid.

The government is aware of the struggles that single mothers endure. These assistance programs were developed to ease the financial burdens of single mothers.